A Report on Dr. Hartman’s Desensitizer

A Report of Tests with Hartman’s Solution

By Robert A. Stevenson, D.D.S., R.Ph. Dental Therapy Editor

                A report of tests with Hartman’s solution by faculty members of Northwestern University—taken form Black’s Operative Dentistry Vol. III. Treatment of Dental Caries. 1936. This work is a revision of the well known work of Dr. G. V. Black by his son Arthur D. Black, A. M., M. D., D. D. S., SC. D. and is just off the press. In passing we would like to add that this work is up to date in every respect as is evidenced by the inclusion of a report on Hartman’s solution and is undoubtedly a very valuable addition to dental science.

In the first report of studies made by members of the faculty of Northwestern University Dental School, 210 cases are tabulated. Before the application, the sensation of the dentin in each case was sufficient to be recorded as definitely painful to the use of a bur or a cutting instrument. The history in each case included the condition of the tooth—open cavity, necessity of enlarging opening through the enamel, previous restoration removed, etc., location of cavity, the number of applications made, the degree of relief from pain, etc. the rubber dam was in place in practically all cases. The results were as follows:

210 cases recorded by faculty members of Northwestern University Dental School.

These tables show that perfect desensitization was obtained in 27.1 percent of cases, and that the tooth was considerably less sensitive in 40.5 percent making a total of 67.6 percent in which the patient suffered no pain of consequences, and were therefore considered successful. In 19 percent of cases, there was some reduction in sensation and in 13.3 percent the result was negative.

These figures should not be considered as fairly representing the effectiveness of this solution, because of lack of understanding of all details of the technic, and particularly of the best methods of making the applications under the verifying conditions presenting. The large majority of the failures were in cases in which previously made restorations were removed. In such cases it is desirable that at least a little of the dentin be freshly cut before making the application, and that generally was not done. It will require considerable experience to determine the real value and the limitations of the use of this solution. At the present time, one seems to be fully justified in recording it as a splendid contribution which will be greatly appreciated by the public, and especially children. Its effective use should largely demand for dental service.